Sunday, February 9, 2014

Updates

A few updates are in order since my last post. As you can see, I gave my blog a much needed facelift and I'm very happy with it! I bought a new template and made some edits with a LOT of help from Sarah to give it a more personalized look. It was definitely time for something new. It's been a few days since my Meemaw passed away and I still feel a bit up and down each day. I still find the whole thing incredibly hard to believe. I've received many kind, uplifting words and appreciate every single one.

For my last update: it's time to share my quick stay in Istanbul! My dad and I chose to fly Turkish Airlines to London since it was the cheapest option. We could have chosen a three hour layover and been in and out of Turkey but that just wasn't adventurous enough for us. Instead, we opted for the 30 hour layover that gave us enough time to stay in Istanbul overnight and see a bit of the city.



Our flight to Istanbul was amazing. We flew "comfort class" instead of economy and it was well worth the upgrade. Extra leg room, our seats reclined more and had foot rests and the food was delicious. My first transatlantic flight went swimmingly.


There was quite a line at customs but we trucked through pretty quickly. After about 40 minutes we were finally on our way to the hotel in the old city. We stayed right across the street from the Hagia Sophia in the Hagia Sophia Hotel, which was really nice and had an excellent shower (really, it must be mentioned).


The hotel was in the perfect location, right by all the action. We easily walked to the Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque and around a lot of the old city, which is where all the history is. We saw some obelisks that had been in place since around 300 AD, as well as the start of the Roman Road.




Istanbul was incredible and I could have happily spent a few more days in Turkey exploring even more of the country. My one request before we left was to see the Blue Mosque by daylight. The mosque was stunning and well worth our early wakeup call on Sunday. It was also worth getting up to see some more of the city by daylight.




We arrived to the airport on Sunday a little sad to be leaving, but excited for the next adventure ahead. I hope to make it back to Istanbul eventually for a more extended stay, but I'm incredibly glad for the short time I had there!

11 comments:

  1. I love this! That's so cool you guys stayed so close to the Hagia Sophia! I'm so glad you're back on the blog wagon. *get it?*

    You're blog looks SOOOO pretty! So glad for our blog dates this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I can't wait to see more updates! What was that beach out the window???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to go to Istanbul! Lucky lady. Also, your blog looks amazing!!! Love the new look.
    That flight looks so glamorous! Comfort class seems to be the one.


    {Teffy's Perks} X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo cool! Can't wait to see more :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy you made it to London safely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your new blog design. I am in desperate need of new look for mine (If I ever blog again!) Maybe Sarah with be so kind as to assist me as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was just my first view of Turkey as we landed :) The water was gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I'm definitely happy with how it turned out :) Yeah comfort class is definitely worth the splurge on a long flight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should most definitely blog again!! I bought a design (at the bottom of my blog) but Sarah helped me with code questions and redesigning the header a tad :) Girl is an html genius!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha you guys are hilarious and DUH I will help you kass kass!!

    ReplyDelete