Monday, January 6, 2014

New Year, New Residence


Things have been pretty quiet around this blog for the past few months, but lucky for my loyal readers (the few that have stuck with me!) that is about to change. In less than three weeks I'll be hopping on a flight bound for London where I will live for a year as an au pair!

When I really sit and think about what I'm doing, there is a moment where I realize how crazy and unlike me the whole thing is. Mostly, though, I'm insanely excited for an amazing year ahead of me. I love to travel but I've never left North America so I'm looking forward to not only living in another country, but also visiting as many new places as possible while I'm in Europe.

Every time I try to make a list of places to go or things to see it ends up being way too long so for now I don't have much of a plan. Maybe I'll come up with a loose "Euro bucket list" sort of thing. It's really hard to narrow down places I want to visit (I have to be realistic about what I can afford) but it couldn't hurt to get something down on paper. There's also plenty of things I want to experience (i.e. the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace), so that can be included as well. I'm open to suggestions of things to see so definitely leave a comment if you've got ideas for me!

Now I've got 18 days to figure out how to pack for a year abroad...this should be interesting.

6 comments:

  1. I'm SOOOO insanely excited for you. And a twinge jealous! I have no idea how you're going to pack for a year though... Good luck boo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're coming to London!?!
    That is amazing! I hope you'll love it here as much as I do. I still haven't witness the change of the guard though, shamefully.

    {Teffy's Perks} X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! London is an amazing city with so much history and culture. I make sure I visit at least once a year. Theres so many obvious things you have to see and do like the changing of the guard. the British hisyory museum, the imperial war museum, the tower of london, see a west end show and the london eye. As fot shops you must see Liberty, Harrods and Covent Garden. Try to see the rest of the UK too because London really isn't representative of it. The south coast is amazing and cities such as bath and York are a must. Edinburgh in Scotland is also definitely worth a visit, especially around christmas.As for the rest of Europe there's so much to see! Paris is obviously a must do and cheap and easy to get to. Prague and Amsterdam are stunning cities too and there's so many places I could recommend in Italy. For a beach holidays in europe the south of France and the Croatian islands are my personal favourites. Good luck. Sorry for the HUGE comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for all of the recommendations, Rubee! Definitely a super helpful list :) I'm super excited to explore all of the UK so that will be a priority for sure. I'll certainly plan a beach vacation at some point too and I've heard wonderful things about Croatia so it sounds like that is a must-see! Time to update my running list of things to do and see while I'm there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Croatia is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. We went to a few of the southern islands (hvar and korcula were stunning) then got a ferry to the north and then a boat to Venice. I have a few blogposts on it from a couple of years ago.

    http://rubee-rubee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're going to have an amazing time over here! Been enjoying your instagram pics already :)

    ReplyDelete