Friday, December 6, 2013

Travel Diaries: New England Days 1 & 2

I'm nearly two weeks late with a recap post of my trip to New England, but for good reason. Jade and I were up at the crack of dawn every morning and in bed late every night so by the time I got back home, I just wanted to rest. After a couple of days of work I took full advantage of a few days of nothing but family time over the Thanksgiving holiday. So far this week has been busy, but I finally have some time, so here we go!

I was rewarded at the end of a full day of travel with a beautiful sunset from the plane, and landed in Hartford with enough time left in the day for a delicious Friendsgiving meal with my oldest friend.



Jade nannies two days a week and because of my timing, we got to share our first couple of days with the twins. Since I still had some work to do on Thursday, we took things easy and only left for a play group at a library in Farmington and lunch at an adorable little cafe nearby. Farmington is a charming town that is one of the oldest in the state and even played an active part in the Underground Railroad. There's your fun fact for the day!


Friday we took the boys to the Mystic Aquarium where they had a total blast. The twins are almost two and it was their first time at an aquarium. It was the most adorable thing to watch them run from tank to tank exclaiming at everything in site! The aquarium has a few beluga whales that were super entertaining for all of us and we even got to watch them eat and play with their trainers.





We rounded out the trip to Mystic by taking the scenic route back to Hartford and it was just gorgeous! I couldn't get over all the history in that part of the country, and I kept trying to picture what things must have been like in the colonial days. Makes me wish I could take a history class now that I would actually appreciate it a little more.



Friday night Jade surprised me with tickets to see The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and we were both stoked. The movie was excellent and did not disappoint at all! They actually stuck to the book pretty well, but we both agreed we would have sat through another two hours for even more detail. After the movie it was time to hit the hay before our busy Saturday...but more on that in another post. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Jealous! Small towns have such a peaceful charm, even in pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were obsessed with those things! Took a few tries but I finally got lucky with a combo of them sitting still + a whale gliding by at the right moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have lived in any of those little towns in CT! They were all so adorable and quaint. Small towns in Texas on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete