Monday, December 9, 2013

Travel Diaries: New England Day 3

Saturday morning Jade and I let ourselves sleep in until 8, which was a nice break from 6 or earlier. We took our time getting ready for the day then stopped by the Christmas festival at the Franciscan Life Center where she interns. Jade picked up her favorite Franciscan breads and we canoodled with some sheep before hitting the road for our main destination: Boston!


A quick two hours in the car was all it took to get there, and even though I missed the fall foliage, the drive was beautiful. I was set on seeing Harvard so we drove straight there, since it's just outside of downtown Boston. The campus is amazing and like nothing I'd ever seen before. We were even lucky enough to run across a turkey wandering around Harvard Square. With the help of my good friend google, I've learned that the stray fowl are actually from the nearby Mt. Auburn Cemetery where they make their homes. I would be lying if I didn't say I chased the thing across the street trying to take its picture...And yes, I am an adult (a guy did it after me so I felt justified). I could have wandered around the campus all day but we had other places to be.







We decided to get our history lesson on and headed to the Boston Tea Party Museum. We pretended to be part of a rowdy, treasonous crowd and even got to throw fake boxes of tea over the side of the ship. Honestly, aside from tea being thrown in the harbor, I barely remember anything about the Boston Tea Party so it was nice for the refresher course. There's even a box from the actual night of treason 240 years ago on display. A little crazy to think what that seemingly silly act later triggered (insert USA chant here).






After committing faux treason, Jade and I met up with my friend Danielle for dinner in the Back Bay area. Danielle and I met in Dallas through mutual friends and, although our time there only overlapped by about three or so months before she moved, I was glad for the opportunity to see her and catch up. Coincidentally, we ate dinner right near the site of the Boston Marathon bombing. Of course, nothing looked out of place, but it was a little chilling to think about. Dinner seemed to end way too quickly and Jade and I had to hop back in the car for our ride home.


I was sad to say bye to both my friend and Boston so soon, but the visit definitely whetted my appetite. Eventually I'll make it back to see more! It did start to snow just a little on our way home so that was a pretty amazing end to a long day.

9 comments:

  1. Ooh I would have totally checked out Harvard too! So fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures and the last one of you and jade especially! It's so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harvard is just as pretty as in the movies! Ahhhh I just love beautiful campuses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha that Turkey!
    Just makes me think of why did the chicken(Turkey) cross the road?!

    { Teffys Perks Blog } X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha my friend and I were shocked when we saw it and at first no one else even batted an eyelash!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's gorgeousss, definitely worth the visit no matter how short :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks boo! They wouldn't have looked near as good without the mad editing skillz you taught me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Despite our visit being short, I'm glad we made it a priority, so worth it! The rest of what I saw of Boston was gorgeous too, maybe a future girls trip destination? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it normal to come across turkeys like that?! Haha


    Beautiful photos, despite you chucking our beloved tea in the water!! x

    ReplyDelete