Thursday, September 12, 2013

On Being Social

I feel like I should start this post by mentioning that I'm jumping right into my Fall Bucket List items. I've had a bit of writer's block this week and decided yesterday that instead of stressing over a post, I would take advantage of the "me time" I've been craving. After work I got in a good work out, had Rosie's epic fish tacos (so delicious and easy to make) then just relaxed and hit the hay early. I feel totally refreshed today. Sorry for my absence, but it was worth it!

I'm back at it with Blogtember and today's topic is to discuss ways that blogging or social media has changed me.


Hmmm social media...well I certainly never thought I'd earn a living through something like Facebook, but that's exactly what I do! I guess social media kind of shaped my future, thus far anyway. I started out on AIM in middle school and progressed to MySpace and LiveJournal in the early high school days. Facebook came along my senior year of high school and it was out with the old, in with the new. College then brought me Twitter and my favorite of all, Instagram. At times social media can just be a form of stress. I feel like I need to be connected all the time and constantly know what's going on (I know, a little ridiculous, but it's my job!). Outside of that though, I've grown and learned the "right" way to use the various social media platforms, and they've become a great way to keep up with friends and a constant form of entertainment.

As far as blogging goes, I'm not sure I can count the ways it has changed me. All for the better, of course! I've enjoyed this new creative outlet for myself, and I feel like it's pushed me to do things I may not have otherwise. I stay more active because, what do I have to write about if I never do anything? And I've begun to really enjoy photography, thanks to my blog. It's something I've always wanted to pursue but I felt like there was no real purpose. That may sound silly to some, but I'm not really a scrapbooker, so why run out and take a bunch of photos just to have them sit on my computer? And again, now that I'm forcing myself to get out and do more, I'm also forcing myself to bring my DSLR along as well.

Blogging has shown me what I truly enjoy in life, and that may be its biggest personal benefit. I have yet to feel any form of stress over my blog. I've loved every aspect of creating it and keeping up with it. I love brainstorming blog ideas with my IRL blogger besties and I love making new blogger friends too! This little bit of real estate on the world wide web gives me the chance to relive fun experiences of all kinds and open myself up a little more. Overall, I think creating my blog is one of the best things I've ever done, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it will progress and grow with me.

If you're a blogger, what is your favorite aspect of blogging?

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your post. I love blogging (and Facebook, a bit too much I believe). Social media is sometimes the only way for me to connect with friends who went abroad (and soon I'm going to one of the expats as well). Also social media has brought me to meet lovely people from around the world, some of them I'm meeting on a regular basis every few months. :) xx Olivia

    http://not-from-uk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I like how at the beginning of this post, you said you didn't feel like stressing over a post, and then later you say you have yet to feel stress over your blog! But i totally get what you mean, sometimes it's a bit of a struggle to feel like you have to blog a certain number of times a week to feel substantial. With that said, I agree with you that blogging brings out the best in you because it helps you realize your passions - you want to write about what interests you and what you LOVE to talk about! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same when it comes to my blog, I've begun to document everything and carry a camera around with me at all times.. which allows for moments to be captured which is amazing!! Since we basically tell our stories on our blog, it's so interesting to go back and see progress and how things have changed!!

    Teffy { Teffys Perks Blog }

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!

    I can't really comment as I haven't been blogging very long at all, but if that's in the future for me, then sign me up!

    Hmm maybe...

    P.S. those fish tacos are AMAZING

    ReplyDelete