Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Labor Day

Aren't long weekends the best? They would be even better if they happened more often but I'll take what I can get! This Labor Day my family and I (minus one brother) made the seven hour drive up to Hot Springs, AR to visit my grandparents. We try to visit at least once a year and we generally try to do something new each time we're there. Last time I was in Hot Springs was February of 2012 so I was excited to go during the warmer months and get the chance to do some outdoor activities.

Despite temperatures in the 100's, we braved a hike on Saturday. The canopy of trees kept us much cooler than we expected and we managed to hike about 7.5 miles, round trip. Any amount of heat was totally worth the views we got of Lake Ouachita and, of course, the feeling of accomplishment at the end of our hike.



Crazy spiderweb hole. There's a creepy crawler down there somewhere!




This is who I'm related to...

Our own trail cairn.


On top of the world! Or a rock at any rate.

View from the top. Lake Ouachita is one of the cleanest bodies of water in the country.

Family (minus one)

Sunday we stuck to our tradition of playing mini golf and I had a Happy Gilmore moment. Seriously, I putted and somehow the ball landed on my little brother's foot. It was awesome! And of course I putted off of his foot...what else do you do in that situation?


After mini golf we wandered around in downtown Hot Springs, which is loaded with bathhouses. Hot Springs used to be a vacation destination for gangsters back in the day. The bathhouses are really pretty and some are even still in use, although I've never taken advantage. We did happen upon a bathhouse turned brewery, which was pretty amazing! They had a wide selection of craft beers, and while I wouldn't call their fare "pub food" as they chose to, there were some good options. We snacked on a cheese platter while enjoying some beers and root beers.


How cute are their glasses? We managed to snag one of the pint glasses.

Sam and I both inherited our grandfather's love for tennis, although neither of us inherited his skill. We both still enjoy playing recreationally, even if most of our time is spent chasing after the ball! While half the family napped, we sneaked in a round of tennis with a gorgeous mountain backdrop.


On Saturday night we watched the movie 'Bernie' together and it was a hit with the entire family. I won't go into detail about it because I really just think you should watch it if you haven't yet (it's on Netflix!), but it's pretty hilarious. The movie, filmed in Carthage, TX, is based on a true story. On our way home we realized we would be passing right through Carthage and talked my parents into stopping to see the funeral home where Bernie worked. You know what they say, pictures or it didn't happen:



And in case you're wondering, yes, that last picture is of my brothers and me standing in front of the funeral home, matching in our blue shirts. Keepin' it classy.

I hope y'all had a great long weekend as well! How did you spend your Labor Day?

13 comments:

  1. So many activities!!! And I am sad you didn't bring me a pint glass souvenir... haha those are seriously cool glasses! Glad you had a good time :)

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm sure I'll be back next year so I'll snag you one then ;)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely day out!! I would love to go hiking, even though that intense spider web would creep me out and send me running if the inhabitant itself decided to make an appearance!

    Teffy { Teffys Perks Blog }

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were quite a few! I got a little peek at one of the spiders once and he was pretty huge. Luckily he stayed in his hole, otherwise I probably would have lost it haha

      Delete
  3. Looks like a great weekend! And those glasses are lovely, I've never seen a pub do different ones like that (unless the beer/ale comes in a special glass given by the brewery).

    I had to look up what Labour Day is, we definitely don't get enough holidays here in the UK!

    Did the putt off your brother's shoe go in? :)

    Hmm maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, don't Europeans get like 6 weeks of paid vacation or something!? I'm sure Emily and I will gladly trade lives to head over the pond for a bit.. ;)

      Delete
    2. Awww I bet y'all get more holidays than we do! We typically only get five or so paid holidays per year so they are cherished when they come around haha

      Unfortunately, the putt off my brother's shoe didn't go in. Too bad cause it would have been majorly cool!

      Delete
    3. Haha, yes we do get paid holiday from our employers the usual is around 22-25 days paid holiday per year (this can go up with years of service).

      But I was just lamenting the lack of 'national holidays' (what we call bank holidays). Of those we have about 5, all of which don't have any kind of celebration attached - I just love that you guys go all out for these, such as the fourth of July, it seems like so much fun!

      When Prince George was born, all people were bothered about is if we got a bank holiday out of it - which we didn't haha!

      But yes, maybe I was being a bit greedy with our holidays, I know are paid holidays from employers are good compared to what you guys get!

      x

      Delete
    4. Haha well the grass is always greener, huh? ;) We definitely go big for the holidays over here though. They are generally accompanied by copious amounts of food and fireworks, it's great!

      That would have been awesome to get a holiday for the birth of the prince! Only sounds fair to me :)

      Delete
  4. At first I thought the movie was Weekend at Bernie's and I got really excited! haha Guess I need to get to watching Bernie now!

    Looks like you had a good trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha somehow I've never seen Weekend at Bernie's! I need to...so how about I'll watch that and you watch Bernie? Deal ;)

      Delete
  5. Aw I love arkansas! It's been so long since I've been...Looks like you guys make the best of it! Now stay home for a while!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a good trip! But I will more than happily stick around Houston for a solid few weeks :)

      Delete