Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Word of Advice...

Blogtember Day Two: Pass on some useful advice or information you learned and always remembered.

Now, I'm not entirely sure that I'm one to advise anyone on their life but I got this little number from my mom, and I'd say she's more qualified than me. I can sometimes be a hot head and I love to get in the last word. Not necessarily with everyone, but it happens often with my family. I come by it honestly since we all seem to be that way. Growing up my mom was constantly telling all four of us kids "least said, soonest mended," and I think it's a useful adage to keep in mind at any walk of life.

I probably heard that phrase the most during high school, otherwise known as my "angsty" teen days. Whether I was getting into it with one of my siblings or parents (I was kind of a diva) or involved in some silly girl drama, my mom was always reminding me "least said, soonest mended." I can't say I always listened to her when I was younger, but guess what? As I've gotten older I've tried things my mom's way and whaddya know, it works! It hasn't been easy, but I've learned that it's not always important to get the last word in. I've also given the advice to friends when they've come to me to vent about one thing or another, and it's helped them as well. It seems obvious but I know I still have the tendency to get wrapped up in silly things sometimes and can be a total loud mouth in the heat of the moment.

Some of my other favorite pieces of life advice can be found on my Words to Live By Pinterest board. I love browsing Pinterest for friendly little quotes, I usually find the most applicable quotes in the moments I need them most. And they're pretty. Here are a few of my current favorites:






What piece of advice have you been given that has stuck with and helped you? Do you have a quote that you look at often to keep you motivated or feeling good?

6 comments:

  1. Ah, I love that Mindy Kaling quote! And so true. I'm throwing a bachelorette party for my sister this weekend and am pretty anxious about it, so that comes along at just the right time. :)

    Your mom's words of wisdom are so true! I've gotten much better about holding my tongue as I get older, which would have been impossible for a younger me. Sometimes the less said, the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment! Good luck with the bachelorette, I hope everything goes smoothly :) I'm sure it will be an excellent time and you won't even have to pretend to be psyched!

      Delete
  2. Just another reason to love Mindy Kaling!

    Definitely some great words to live by here, my mum always says to sleep on it, because everything can be faced once you've had a good night's sleep, I've always followed it, and it's always been the best advice I've ever taken!

    Hmm maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? She's the best!

      I've learned to sleep on it as I've gotten older and it pretty much always helps. Mom's just give the best advice!

      Delete
  3. That's a good tidbit of advice from yo momma! I'll have to keep that in mind in my marriage...;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom wisdom = the best wisdom. It's one of those things that's definitely easier said than done though when you're in the heat of the moment haha

      Delete