Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Guest Blogger: Kassie of A Kitchen Conversation

My second guest blogger of the week is my dear friend Kassie, of A Kitchen Conversation. Kassie and I were suite-mates freshman year of college and bonded over a particularly lame punishment of "rounds" after being caught with a microwave in our dorm (we also had kittens at one point, so ha!). We lived together for three and a half years (she graduated a semester early) and we make it a point to stay in touch and visit each other often since leaving San Marcos and going our separate ways. Kassie has a beautiful way with words and excellent taste in style, food and music, of which her blog is a direct reflection. Today she put together a recipe post that sounds absolutely scrumptious and I'm thinking I miiiight need to give it a try when I return home.


Hi there! I am so excited to be sharing my voice on my dear friend Emily's blog. I have to admit, it feels a little strange - like I'm in another realm surrounded by the unknown. Tee-hee! Only slightly kidding. I'm sure Emily and I share at least a few readers, and I know she has mentioned me on here from time to time, so you probably already have some idea of who I am and what I'm all about.

When Emily asked me to write a guest post for her blog, my initial reaction was excitement because although I've been blogging for a while now, I'm still experiencing new things in the blog world, and this guest post thing is definitely new for me. After feeling excited and honored in regard to her request, I started thinking woahhh, what am I going write about? The three themes that immediately popped up in my mind are topics I spend a lot of time and energy writing about in my own blog - music, food and personal style inspiration. After some careful thought and consideration, I decided to go with food. Never a bad choice, right?

So last night, I was perusing my bloglovin' feed, and I couldn't help but notice all of the cobbler recipes and pictures of cobbler just staring me in sweet treat-loving face. Then it hit me, I haven't had cobbler in a really long time, like an obscenely long time, and that's just not okay with me. So to make myself feel better about this predicament, and to provide some entertainment for you, I decided to share a most delicious recipe for Blackberry + Peach Buttermilk Cobbler. Even if you're not a huge fan of cobbler or pie, I promise you will like this. It's not heavy, it's super fresh and it's only 180 calories per serving. Since we're using fresh fruit, the best time to make this particular cobbler is between May and September because that is when both peaches and blackberries are in season. This is a perfect little dish for backyard barbecues, summer get-togethers or for just enjoying by your lonesome on the couch watching Magic Mike.


Recipe: Blackberry + Peach Buttermilk Cobbler

Let's start with ingredients:
1/4 c. maple syrup
1 tsp corn starch
3/4 lb peaches, pitted and thickly sliced
1 (6 oz.) container blackberries
1/2 stick butter cut into large pieces (dairy free - use dots of Parkay)
1 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 c. low-fat buttermilk (dairy free - use almond milk)
Sprinkle of brown sugar



Let's get this party started:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk together maple syrup and corn starch. Add peaches and blackberries, toss to evenly coat; set aside.

2. Put the pieces of butter in an 8-inch baking pan. Heat in the oven just until butter has melted (2 to 3 minutes). Remove and set aside.

3. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in buttermilk until a thick batter is formed. Pour the mixture over the melted butter in the pan, and scatter the peaches and blackberries on top. I also like to sprinkle a little brown sugar over the fruit before the pan goes into the oven to meet its fate.

4. Bake for 50 - 55 minutes until golden on top and edges.

*Once the cobbler is done baking, take it out of the oven and let it cool for about five minutes, but not too long because it's best served warm with some vanilla bean ice cream on top or even a dollop of greek yogurt!

Before I go back to my own little corner of the interwebz, I would like to thank Emily for letting me guest post today, and I would like to thank YOU for reading. If you decide to give my little cobbler recipe a try, I hope you enjoy it more than anything you've ever enjoyed in your life! Have a great day!

**Recipe adapted from Whole Foods Blackberry and Peach Buttermilk Cobbler Recipe

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the invite to guest post! Loved it! I might be asking you to return the favor when I go on my vacation next month... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kass, I read your post right before lunch and it was cruel that I couldn't just run home and whip one up! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

      -Sarah

      http://www.sarrrahgirl.com

      Delete
    2. Kass - thanks for your post!

      Sarah - I've been craving that cobbler since she sent me this post! I think I'll have to make it soon :)

      Delete