Monday, August 19, 2013

Beach Dreamin'

I made it back from Florida! I had such a great week on the beach and I definitely wasn't quite ready to return to the real world. Big thanks again to Diana, Kassie and Sarah for taking care of my blog last week! I briefly entertained the thought of bringing my computer with me and blogging throughout the trip but I'm so glad I didn't because a week of no responsibility was just what I needed.


We hit the road for our ten hour drive to Destin bright and early Sunday morning. It was a long ride and we arrived around 7 pm, just in time to catch the sunset. We took a quick peek around the house, claimed our rooms and bee-lined it to the beach. Sam's two and a half year old daughter, Lilly, insisted that she wear her swimsuit, although it quickly became clear she had no interest in getting in the water. She was pretty unsure about the ocean until about Wednesday, when she finally began to venture into the water on her own and, at times, randomly decided she could swim (she can't but luckily had three adults there to keep her safe). Her favorite past time was watching us build sand castles and promptly knocking them over, of course.






The weather alternated between sunny and beautiful and cloudy and overcast through Thursday and by Friday it was game over for the sun. There isn't too much to say about the week because, for the most part, we just relaxed on the beach. We opted to buy groceries and cook almost every meal, instead of eating out the whole trip, which kept us at the house more. This also translated into no makeup or effort to put on cute clothes almost all week...it was awesome!







Our first outing of the week was on Tuesday when we went to an area called Baytown to explore and catch a fireworks show. There was a ton of awesome things for older kids to do but Lilly was too young for most of it. Among other things, there was zip lining, a ropes course and a rock wall; can you say kid paradise?! There was also a wide variety of restaurants and we settled on a burger joint that had a retro feel. The food was on the unspectacular side but we couldn't leave without trying the birthday cake milkshake and Oh. My. Goodness. That thing was like crack in a cup! It took a lot of self control not to down the entire shake. Also, I know I'm supposed to be eating better, but I was on vacation! We ate relatively well the entire trip and I got some workouts in while we were there so I felt alright about splurging on a couple of meals. I didn't want to be that annoying vacation guest insisting that I absolutely had to eat healthy. We ended the evening by watching a fireworks show over the water.





Aside from our jaunt to Baytown, our days were mostly spent by the beach. We woke up whenever we wanted and played in the ocean to our hearts' desire. By Thursday we were properly tanned and good thing too, since Friday and Saturday ended up being quite rainy. We did make it out of the house again on Saturday for some shopping but more on that later ;)

6 comments:

  1. It looks like you guys had a fun time! That beach house is super cute. I kept wondering why all of your location tags were at "Fort Panic." Makes sense now, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah I should have mentioned that in the post! When we found out we were staying at a place called Fort Panic we were a little concerned but it was fine and quite cheery, really.

      Delete
  2. This is such a cute little place, I love it! No cute clothes were worn maybe, but cute swimmies! :D And I definitely would have been up there with the kids on that ropes course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of cute swimmies! :) I really wanted to zip line! Haha I refrained though since I would have been the oldest one up there by a good few years.

      Delete
  3. I've just come across your blog, it's lovely! Fab photos!!
    http://splashofsilk.blogspot.co.uk/
    X

    ReplyDelete