Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A Little More Tx SC


Now that I actually have time for a more in-depth post, here's a better look at my weekend at the Texas Style Council. Friday I got into Austin and Kassie and I headed downtown to drop off our clothes and books for the style swap later that evening. The swap was really cool; we all brought two gently used clothing items and a book which were then arranged into a boutique setting. After the happy hour we headed to the swap where all of our used clothes plus 250 new items donated by LuLu's were ready for the picking. After some debating Kass and I ended up with these pretty, brand new dresses and new bags. Not bad considering we gave away two pieces of clothing we wouldn't wear anymore anyway!


Saturday was a little nerve-wracking, kind of like the first day of school (which was the theme for the weekend). We started out strong though, with a session on Life Blogging by Jenni of Story Of My Life. She gave us five tips to having a great blog (my personal favorite was "something of value"), ways to keep people coming back, and a few post ideas. It's hard to say which session was the most valuable but if I absolutely had to pick, I'd choose Jenni's. The second session was all about monetization, taught by Bethany of The Glamorous Housewife. There was a lot of great information that I hope I'll be able to use in the future, and Bethany was hilarious. The third session I went to ended up being about event planning (not what the description implied) and was interesting, but I'm not sure when I'd use the information. Our fourth session of the day was about personal budgeting, taught by Eric and Kelsey of Words Of Williams. As far as rankings go, this was probably the second most valuable session I attended. I like to think I budget every month but after hearing their system, I definitely don't and I plan to work on that now! Our last session of the day was about creating a media kit, which sounded interesting but ended up being kind of a bust. I couldn't really hear the speaker and she really rushed through the presentation. It wasn't anything I couldn't have googled.

After all of our learning it was time to go home for a nap, then get ready for prom! Yep, never thought I'd be going to prom again but this one was way cooler than high school and had multiple photo booths. Sarah, Kassie and I got all dressed up and had a blast collecting freebies, taking pictures, dancing and participating in endless amounts of Instagram contests (sorry to my followers).




We woke up Sunday still incredibly tired but pumped to see Emma and Elsie speak. They were good but I wish they could have spoken a little longer. Their speech was a little rushed, especially towards the end. Our first session of the day didn't actually pertain to Sarah, Kassie or me since it was about children on the blog, but it was by one of our favorite bloggers, Katie of Skunkboy. She was adorable and did a great job! She's been through some crazy stuff in the past year that ultimately reminded me that I should be mindful of what I post on my blog and on social media sites. The three of us stuck around for another session, then Kassie and I went to hear Jen of Jen Loves Kev speak about handling critics on the blog. I haven't had to deal with critics yet but I'm sure it will come so I figured this would be a useful session. Jen was really sweet and sat and chatted with Kassie and I for a bit after she was finished speaking. We went to one more session (about going from blog to book) then headed down for the final Q&A with all of the speakers. I thought the Q&A would be more informative but they probably should have screened questions beforehand. Otherwise, it was great to see all the ladies on stage together and soak in my last bit of the conference.

I really learned so much that I'm hoping will help my blog. I also learned that regardless of how many other people will be taking pictures, I need to suck it up and bring my camera with me. I only used my phone for photos and I'm really bummed that I didn't get any good pictures of the speakers since the lighting was always off or simply because it was taken with the crappy iPhone camera. I just got a new lens for my birthday so hopefully that will help motivate me! Have you ever been to a blogger conference? If so, which one and what was your experience?

6 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed my lecture! I would be happy to help you with your media kit if you like. I have one and have used it exactly zero times! LOL! But I use almost exactly the same thing to send to potential advertisers, so it has come in handy, just not as an official media kit. My email is TheGlamorousHousewife@gmail.com if you want to talk about it.

    Thanks doll,
    The Glamorous Housewife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bethany! I will definitely be contacting you with some questions :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you had fun! This looks very informative and definitely worth going to! Maybe I should search for one when I get settled!

    marishabailey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next TxSC will be in March at sxsw so maybe you'll be able to make it to that one!

      Delete
  3. you went?!? ahhh it sounded so so cool, what great tips did you learn? and i'd feel like i was looking at celebrities hearing my favorite bloggers speak, haha. and it definitely is worth bringing your own camera every where! i just went to a music festival and it was a pain carrying it around all day, but so so worth it :)

    xo marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun and I'm really glad I went! I was way too nervous to talk to the speakers this time around because it really kind of is like seeing a celebrity haha! I didn't know what to say without repeating what they hear all the time! Lesson learned with the camera for sure :)

      Delete