Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Wine: An Obsession

Thanks to my vacation last week, I have a newfound appreciation for wine. I think this may partially stem from the fact that Heather and I were told multiple times that we needed to a) drink more wine and b) step up our game (you mean moscato doesn't count?!). Also, visiting the Chateau Ste. Michelle winery and a few tasting rooms spurred my interest a little more. I've even started reading Wine For Dummies which has taught me that I was spoiled with my first winery experience because, apparently, Washington has a very well-recognized wine region. Not a bad way to kick off my new obsession!

Now, I'm not quite drinking Shiraz yet, but I can stomach most whites, which is actually an improvement! In an effort to continue to widen our wine horizons, Heather and I (along with her mom and sister) took a trip out to Bernhardt Winery in Plantersville, TX this past weekend. Considering we stuck to whites for the tasting, I wouldn't say we broadened too much yet but we all decided to take home a bottle of Aggie Blush, which was at least a mixed option.

Their vineyard.
The winery itself, where all the winemaking magic happens!
A pretty little view of some rolling Texas hills.
Wishing I could have been stomping some grapes!

Bernhardt was a cute little winery and a nice way to spend part of the day. I was sad to discover that I'd missed a strawberry, chocolate and wine festival held at the winery just a couple of weeks earlier that my friend Sarah had attended. They have a lot of fun stuff going on throughout the summer though so I'm sure I'll be back soon for more wine and fun!

All that said, I think one of my future vacations should be to Napa Valley for some serious winery visits. Or maybe go all out and head straight over to Italy, who's with me? ;)

In other news, I found out yesterday that I won a pair of shorts from one of my favorite jeans brands, James Jeans! I participated in one of their Instagram contests and whaddya know, I was the lucky winner :) I'm truly that person who never wins anything so I was more than thrilled when I got the news. My new shorts are now on their way to me and I can't wait to get them! I'll have to style 'em up cute and maybe dedicate a blog post to the look...I'm horribly camera shy though so we'll see if I can follow through with it.

Any good wine suggestions? Remember, I'm still not quite into reds but I'm open to any whites!

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/4736039/?claim=qk26ze5vfvk">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

4 comments:

  1. I really like the Schrock wine by Bernhardt. When we did the chocolate and wine pairings they paired it with The Great Divide by Big Little Fudge (based out of Montgomery) which is a peanut butter and chocolate fudge and I SWEAR it tastes like PB&J if you take a bite of the fudge and a sip of the wine. But the wine stands well alone, too! Fun fact, that wine was named after lady Bernhardt---- it is her maiden name. Pretttttty cool!

    Outside of Bernhardt wine I have a few favorites... all rieslings and my absolute favorite gewurztraminer... hard to say, easy to drink ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! Heather, Victoria and I liked the Schrock too, we almost got bottles of that instead of the blush :) I really liked their Chardonnay too!

      Okay we need to have a wine night soon! We can each get a bottle (or a few) of our faves and do dinner.

      Delete
  2. Jason and I went to a wine tasting class at House Wine here in Austin a few months ago, and it was so much fun! The instructor recommended wine blends because they use a combination of different grapes, thus giving a more complex flavor. We tried a couple of blends in the class, and I've bought some on my own since then. I really love wine - I enjoy whites and reds. Have you ever tried a Rose wine? They are technically considered red, but they aren't quite as bitter and dry as most reds. I would recommend Galil Mountain Rose and Crios Rose of Malbec. Both are super delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun, maybe I should try something like that! The blush I got on Saturday is a Rose and I tried a few in Washington, definitely less harsh than a full on red haha. I'll have to try both of those! Thanks for the suggestions :)

      Delete